31 Dec 2007

Online Copyright woes

This is really an interesting piece I came across through SLAW, dealing with the copyright issues facing netizens and blogwriters. In this article, Kathy deals with the most common myths about copyright protection of material available on the net, they being;

Myth #1: It's okay to use anything that doesn't have a copyright notice
Myth #2: It's okay to use anything that's online, because if it's online, it's in the public domain and up for grabs
Myth #3: It's okay to use anything as long as I'm not making any money off it.
Myth #4: It's okay for a non-profit organization to use anything
Myth #5: It's okay to use anything as long as I give credit
Myth #6: It's okay to use anything as long as I include the creator's copyright notice
Myth #7: It's okay to use anything as long as I take it down when the copyright holder objects
Myth #8: It's okay to use something if I can't find the copyright holder
Myth #9: It's okay to use something if I asked for permission and didn't get a response

A good account indeed. [click here for the full article]

No comments: